Open-Q™ 820 – Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a collection of frequently asked questions pertaining to the DragonBoard 820 Development Kit.
Fast Boot Instructions:
To force the device:
- Disconnect all cables from the board
- Reconnect AC power supply
- Then hold down the volume “down” button, press the power (S100) button
- Connect Micro USB to J24
If this process fails, your bootloader is corrupted and you will need to have the bootloader re-programmed HERE
Is it possible to run Linux Debian or Yocto?
Currently is not possible on the Open-Q 8096. If you are looking to build a commercial product using Linux, please CONTACT SALES
Can we connect a daughter card, for UART?
What Programming Languages are Supported?
C, C++, and Java
Do your boards provide some IDE (Integrated Development Environment)?
Yes, eclipse is the recommended IDE and is freely available for download
Is it possible to connect an external modem?
The Open-Q 8096 does not support a modem. If you are building a commercial product and need cellular connectivity, please CONTACT SALES
Can the Open-Q 8096 do “Speech Recognition”?
No, not out of the box. Custom support would be required. Please CONTACT SALES
Is there a DC Power to car connection battery through car cigarette connector?
No, you would need to make your own
Does the OQ820_UpgradePackage_XXXXX_for_FlashingUtility.zip have a password?
You do not need a password for that zip file. That file is meant to be used the windows utility, which you will find on the support server. The utility will unzip that file during install.
Is it possible to connect a battery?
Yes, but it would require an external charger
How many cameras will work out of the box?
Currently 1 camera is supported, the SONY IMX214
What is the max resolution on the 820?
1 x 4lane DSI0 + 1 x 4lane DSI1. 1 x 8 lane combining DIS0 and DSI1 for up to 4K resolution
- DSI0 : 1920×1200 + HDMI External display (3840×2160@30fps / 4096×2160@24fps)
- DSI0+DSI1 combined 4096×2160 with FBC (TWO MIPI 4lane combined) + HDMI External Display (3840×2160@30fps / 4096×2160@24fps)
- DSI0+DSI1 combined 2560x2048S3D + HDMI 1080p S3d 60fps side by side or top/bottom. Or 24FPS frame packing
- DSI0 : 1920×1200, DSI1 : 1920×1200 + HDMI 1080p@60fps
DB 820 Specifications
- Open-Q 820 SOM: Snapdragon 820 Qualcomm® Kryo™ CPU, quad core, 64bit, 2.2GHz Qualcomm® Adreno™ 530 GPU Qualcomm® Hexagon™ 680 DSP Qualcomm® Spectra™ ISP
- 3GB LPDDR4 RAM (1866MHz )
- 32GB UFS 2.0 Flash 1-lane, gear 3
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n/ac 2.4 / 5.0 GHz 2×2 MU-MIMO
- Bluetooth 4.1
- Qualcomm® IZat™ Gen 8C GPS
- Qualcomm Hi-Fi Audio Codec
- Display: 2x MIPI-DSI 4-lane, 60fps, up to 2560×1600 (single port), 4096×2160 (dual port) 1x HDMI 2.0 up to 4096×2160, 60fps
- Camera: 3x MIPI-CSI 4-lane, dual ISP, up to 25MP
- Audio: 1x 3.5mm ANC Jack headset 20pin Audio Input expansion header, 3x analog in, 3x digital in 20pin Audio Output expansion header, 5x analog out, 1x digital out
- Other Interfaces: 1x UART debug (USB micro-B) 1x USB OTG micro-B 1x USB 3.0 host, micro-AB 2x USB 2.0 host, type A 2x PCIe 1x mini PCIe v1.2, 1x PCIe X1 slot v2.1 1x µSD Socket 8x Digital IO 4-pin port configurable as I2 C, SPI, UART or GPIO
- OS Support: Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Operating Environment: Input Power 12V SOM Dimension 82mm x 42mm Carrier Board Dimension 170mm x 170mm
Can this device download apps from Google Play?
No. Our license with Google does not allow us to install Google Play on this device.
I’ve heard there are instructions how to add Google Play support on sites like XDA Developers?
We cannot answer questions on this topic.
How can I load software on this device without Google Play?
You can either sideload apps, or push them over ADB. If you enable MTP, leave it enabled or toggle to PTP.
Can I get source?
Yes, Intrinsyc Patches and Script. The script will download the Qualcomm baseline code, patch the code with Intrinsyc patches and proprietary libraries, and it will build the software.
What do I get in the BSP package?
The BSP contains patches for Open-Q and Qualcomm proprietary binary blobs (GPU, Multimedia, aDSP firmware , camera libraries, OpenCL, Multimedia Codec)
How to install Firefox – Mozilla Web browser
Download Android Firefox from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/all/
then use “adb install xyz.apk” to push the apk to your device.
HDMI primary for 1080p panel can be set up using the commands below
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem select-display-panel hdmi
To go back to dsi resolution
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem select-display-panel dsi