11 Jan 2017
Intrinsyc at CES 2017
We started the New Year off with a bang by attending the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Our meeting rooms were booked solid with client and partner meetings. We were showing off our just announced Open-Q 820 µSOM (ultra-small Snapdragon 820 SOM 50mm x 25mm) and discussing our 2017 product roadmap.
At CES, Qualcomm formally announced their latest flagship processor – the 835 (MSM8998/APQ8098) with the emphasis on better, faster, smaller, thinner, reduced power consumption and faster charging. This processor will be first appear in premium consumer devices including smartphones, VR goggles, IP cameras, tablets and other devices requiring top-tier performance. The Qualcomm booth was well attended with several impressive demos. One demo was all about VR, predictably. The other demo showed the 835 running at gigabit download speeds stitching together, in real-time, a series of camera feeds to build a seamless immersive experience. Very impressive. Off to one end was Qualcomm’s IoT showcase which included several our client’s designs. (list them? Knit Health, Retail Next, other?) In a separate hall, Qualcomm was showing their latest version of their drone platform; Flight.
A few observations –
- The drone hall had probably close to 100 vendors all showing off their variants on air and waterborne drones – very cool
- Large format 4K HDR TVs were everywhere … impressive technology but where is the broadcast content? There were also a lot of 8k HDR TV’s also on display which were impressive although the 4K is still very much amazing at not much less performance!
- StreamTV was showing off their glasses free 3D TV (and Intrinsyc customer) powered by a Snapdragon processor – it’s very very good – -good viewing angles, adjustable depth, good colour registration – a superior 3D experience – they had live content streaming as well as old black and white movie content that showcased their 3D offering well! Very impressive to say the least!
- Car electronics – everywhere – all vendors are pushing to get their wares into cars – no surprise there just impressive to see in one place
- Lots of virtual reality offerings including gaming and simulations. Samsung VR demo was a huge hit! We particapated in a speed boat race and as you can see our Marketing Coordinator was frighten!
- Robotics was a huge hit, resulting in their own hall space at the Sands – AI is coming to our world soon!
- Autonomous cars are also making a mark with several vendors showing prototypes – “Home James” may become a reality for all of us!
- The Smart Home is also evolving – think George Jetson, vintage TV show are coming to reality.
- We had some fun with 360 action cameras– Our CFO did not know that he could fly! Check it out. https://nikonprojecthelix.com/2017/dash/b25f59d&e
Intrinsyc’s offering is well suited to the majority of the trends being showcased at CES which bolds well for the Company with many potential opportunities for our solutions.
Our next show is Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 27 to March 2 where we will have a meeting suite. We have attended MWC for more than 10 years and it’s a great show for us and our clients and partners. We are lining up meetings now … drop us an email if you will be in attendance and plan on dropping by.
Closely following MWC is Embedded World in Nuremberg March 14-16 where we will be exhibiting and showing our products in our partners’ booths.
It’s shaping up to be another great year in tech and for Intrinsyc!!!